Several foods that are perfectly suitable for human consumption can be toxic to dogs.The researchers found that in the past decade, reported cases of toxicity in pets across the globe have most often involved the following food items.
Chocolate is made from the roasted seeds of the Theobroma cacao or cocoa tree. The seeds have certain properties that can be toxic for dogs and cats, including caffeine and theobromine, which are naturally occurring stimulants.Both theobromine and caffeine stimulate the central nervous system and heart muscle. They also relax smooth muscles, especially the bronchial muscles, and increase production of urine by the kidneys.
Dogs are more often the victims of chocolate poisoning than cats, because dogs like sweet-tasting things, and they are indiscriminate eaters to begin with. Studies have shown that dogs are especially sensitive to theobromine compared to other domestic animals.
2.Onions and Garlic
Onions are a popular item during barbecues, used frequently on burgers, chopped up as a hot dog condiment, fried for an appetizer and used as an ingredient in egg salad, garden salads and salsa, to name a few. Onions contain an ingredient called thiosulphate which is toxic to dogs. The ingestion of onions, onion powder, or even cooked onion causes a condition called hemolytic anemia, which is characterized by damage to the red blood cells. In other words, onion toxicity can cause the red blood cells circulating through your pet’s body to burst. A small amount can be toxic to your dog.
3.Raw Meat and Fish
It’s one thing to properly prepare and feed your pet a raw food diet; it’s another if your pet counter surfs and eat raw meet or fish that hasn’t been carefully handled.Raw meat and raw fish, like raw eggs, can contain bacteria that causes food poisoning. Keep your raw fish and meat in an area where your pet can not help himself unknowingly to a toxic substance. Certain kinds of fish such as salmon, trout, shad, or sturgeon can contain a parasite that causes “fish disease.” If not treated, the disease can be fatal within 2 weeks. The first signs of illness are vomiting, fever, and big lymph nodes. Thoroughly cooking the fish will kill the parasite and protect your dog.
Xylitol is a sweetener that is highly toxic to dogs. It’s a sugar alcohol extracted from corn and corn fiber, birch, raspberries and plums.Xylitol is used to sweeten a wide range of products, including sugar-free gum and mints, nicotine gum, chewable vitamins, certain prescription drugs, dental hygiene products and baked goods. It can also be purchased in granulated form as a sugar replacement to sweeten beverages, cereals and other foods.Sadly, xylitol poisoning in dogs is reaching epidemic proportions.Symptoms of xylitol toxicity can develop from 30 minutes up to 12 hours after ingestion, and include vomiting and signs of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), such as lethargy, inability to control movements, collapsing and seizures.
5. Grapes and raisins
It is not known why grapes cause sickness in dogs, but they are dangerous nonetheless. If your dog eats them, you can take her to the veterinarian to pump her stomach. Unfortunately, effects are not noticeable immediately.
6. Baking soda, baking powder and yeast
Leavening agents can cause serious gastrointestinal problems for dogs including spasms, seizures and heart problems. Effects may not be noticed immediately, so make sure you get your dog to the vet quickly.
Please Note-This article has been provided for information purpose only